Friday, January 27, 2012

Getting Caught Up


I was going to post yesterday's activities last night but got distracted!  (What's new?)  

I thought today I'd show you how I set up my work area for doing the Quilting Project and the materials I use.  I do follow a lot of what Leah Day suggests but I do prefer Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream as Diane Gaudinski suggests instead of the gloves Leah uses.  


I have been fortunate enough to have taken machine quilting classes from Diane Gaudinski and Harriet Hargraves-probably the most recognized names in machine quilting.  If given the opportunity, I would take Harriet first then Diane.  That last sentence almost sounds like I'm a prize fighter planning my next fights!  Anyway, let's get back on track!

I'm getting back to my quilting daily and doing the Free Motion Project.  I'm also going to start doing her current "exercises".  And start Bryn's Graduation Quilt.  Anyway, this is how I have my sewing area set up to watch the lessons on the computer.

Setting it up right next to the sewing surface lets me review if I get confused.

I have pre-cut the fabric squares and batting squares so I can just pick them up and go.  I also like to listen to music while I quilt.  I get too distracted if I have the TV on while quilting.  I can have it on while piecing but I need to concentrate while actually quilting.  I subscribe to Pandora on my iTouch.  I'm planning on upgrading to an iPhone the next time I'm eligible for an upgrade.

This is the area to my left while sitting at the machine.  Notice my project board in the background to help keep me on track!

Yesterday's 5 designs.

Acuquilt Go!

My friend, Mary, got an Acuquilt when she first started quilting.  I've played with it once and picked up some more dies when I went to the Houston Quilt Festival last November.  She brought the Go over on Tuesday for me to play with.  I've planned a "play date" for this weekend.  Like I need to cut out another project!  I'm thinking of doing a disappearing 9 patch or cutting some half square triangles to hand piece.  I'm leaning toward the 9 patch.

Happy Stitching!




No comments: