Saturday, February 4, 2012

Busy, Busy, Busy...



I've been busy even though I haven't posted.  Wednesday I took my dad to lunch then went back to his house to help go through some of Mom's things.  He's doing amazing!  We weeded through old clothes she had hanging in the basement.  There was NO rhyme or reason to what was hanging in there!  Beautiful beaded satin next to tee shirt style nighties next to her wedding dress!  Even her mink coat!  (that came home with me-vintage!)  I want the girls to go through these when they come home.  Katie expressed wanting one of them for a possible wedding dress.  Some of the better things can be reworked.  There were some beautiful wool skirts with moth holes-lots of moth holes!  She would put them away without having them cleaned!  They will be worked into wool quilts.  Same thing with some of the stained silk pants.  I have been "collecting" silk for a future undetermined quilt!

I did continue working on getting the interfacing fused on more of the tee shirts.  Once you've seen one fused it's not real interesting so I didn't take more pictures-just kept fusing.

I got a call from Katie's friend, Eleni, for whom Katie did the fundraiser.  She and her mother came over with a BIG tray of spinach pie and rice pudding to thank Joe and I for helping Eleni.  OMG!!!  It was SO GOOD!  The bad news was that Joe was out of town for 3 days!  Eleni, her mom and I had some, I took some over to my dad, saved some for Joe to enjoy when he came home and froze the rest in individual portions.  The girls are looking forward to coming home to indulge!


Eleni's Spinach Pie and Rice Pudding

I did start sewing some of the smaller pieces of the quilt together.  As you can see from the picture below, I also use nylon jersey from Bryn's basketball shorts.  I also wanted to picture the importance of making sure you attach the pieces the correct direction!

Jack, the Ripper at work!

All the pieces fused and cut to size.  Then arranged on the floor-they won't fall off the floor!  I try to spread the colors around so any one color isn't clumped in one area.  I have been doing my tee-shirt quilts in columns lately instead of the traditional block size with sashing around each tee-shirt.  I think it makes it more interesting.  I was doing them "puzzle" style but it's a lot of thinking and figuring out units.  This is fast and easy.  I then throw down the leftovers in between to be used to make the blocks uniform widths for each column.  

Rough layout

I then measure to find the widest block in each column.  I then have to make the other blocks the same width.  I do that by adding stabilized leftover scraps to one or both sides of the blocks.

Fillers on both sides.

Filler on one side.

Pile of stabilized leftovers to use as fillers.

I'm going to a quilt shop sale today.  The funny thing is I had just gotten off the phone with Mary after discussing the fact that we had WAY too much fabric.  I was checking my e-mail and got the notice of the sale.  Of course, I forwarded it to Mary and we decided we had to check it out!  I'll look for border fabric for Bryn's quilt and fabric for the I Spy quilt.  Who knows what else will find it's way into my bag and come home with me!

Happy Stitching!

No comments: